Wednesday, August 13, 2014

My Monogrammed Bag of Worry

The more I learn about the Lord, the more I wonder how anyone lives without him. I'm not sure I could do it. So here's the nugget of truth I'm claiming today...

"Casting the WHOLE of your care, ALL your anxieties, ALL your worries, ALL your concerns, once and for all on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully." 1 Peter 5:7

I am a visual person, meaning, I have to see it to understand it. My visual as I read this verse about five times this morning is this...

I get up in the morning, get dressed, and grab my super cute teal and coral monogrammed backpack that I've stuffed with worry and anxiety. It might be nasty on the inside, but at least my bag's cute, right? I'm walking along life's road and I meet with the Lord. I unzip my bag and let all of the worries and cares escape, ALL of them. I don't store one here or there in a special secret compartment (or maybe I do sometimes, but that's not what I'm called to do according to 1 Peter). Jesus seriously says to leave them ALL, and my favorite part of that verse - "once and for all." Just to be sure I don't take any back with me, I leave the cute bag too.

Can you imagine that kind of care? Literally unloading what burdens you and giving it to someone else to carry? Think about hiking and being able to unload your gear onto someone else, or handing someone else your children, purse and diaper bag. It's freeing! And so very humbling that someone is willing to do this for us all. It's real though, folks. We don't have to just imagine it. We can claim it; we can rely upon the Lord because he does "care for [us] affectionately and ... watchfully."

No comments:

Post a Comment